Claire (PK's mom), Christine (his younger sister) and I spent much of the day with Patrick today in the ICU. I'm fairly delirious right now, so I do hope this makes some sense:
He's still in his medically-induced coma, as the drs monitor any potential seizure activity. So far there has been none, since his big seizure early this morning around 1am. Granted, he's on a heavy dosage of anti-seizure drugs, so he shouldn't head in that direction anytime soon. They performed another CT scan this morning, and compared it to last night's scan, and it looks the same -- which is great news! There appears to be no brain swelling or bleeding. They also performed an extended EEG, where they mapped his brain waves while in the medically-induced coma, and while attempting to wake him up out of his stupor. He appeared to have very regular brainwave activity, and no seizures or spikes in the wiggly lines on the screen. So, that is also a good thing. With the help of Steve and Nancy Skancke, we tried to wake him up today (per the drs request), so he was a passive participant to Steve's crazy stories and rambling antics, and a victim to Nancy's feet tickling. Both caused a few stirs, and once he peeped his eyes open, but only just for a second. Because he's responding, even if very minimally, the drs are encouraged that there is likely not severe brain damage (if any).
After awhile, they decided to re-administer the sleep agent so that he could rest deeply, while they adjusted his anti-seizure meds tonight. They will try again in the morning to wake him up. If they can receive certain signs of cognitive awareness, they will extubate him, and pull all the other various tubes that are poking their way uncomfortably into his body and various orifices. (Ahem.) I assume he will be fairly uncomfortable when he awakes, but we hope he DOES wake up.
Days ago I was bemoaning the thought of living with a (even if partially) disabled husband for awhile, and now I'm just hoping for another day, week or year with him. He's a fighter, and I trust/hope that God is not yet done with him on this Earth. (I know that I'm certainly not done with him!)
Will you pray with me...
...that he'll wake up out of his coma tomorrow?
...that there will be no long-term effects from his seizure (or the coma)?
...that the drs will find the answer to his rapidly declining neurological state?
...and that they will have wisdom as to whether or not to continue chemo at this point?
We covet your prayers, friendship, concern, well wishes and words of encouragement. Patrick is sleeping soundly tonight, and he's being monitored very closely - so that gives me a wee bit of peace right now, as I anticipate another rough and tiring day tomorrow! My folks are here, and plan to take Cecilia back to PA with them in the morning, so that takes a large load of worries and responsibility off of my proverbial plate.